Am now terrified. Have booked this place (using a Living Social voucher) for my wedding anniversary as a surprise for my husband!! Now dreading it. Thought (as we can’t afford a lot) I would try to do something a bit upmarket on a tight budget, but looks as though I am gonna regret wasting what little money I have. Please God let the food and service suddenly improve??
South Kensington, London
43-44 Beauchamp Place, South Kensington, London SW3 1NX
- Knightsbridge Station (0.4 km)
- Knightsbridge Tube Station (0.5 km)
- Contact us:
020 7581 8886
5 reviews of The Beauchamp in English
1. Turned up for a 3pm booking the guy behind the bar sees me walk in but chooses to ignore me for ten minutes. When he does aknowledge I exist he seems stressed and agitated. Not a good start.
2. The place is dirty. Everything is sticky and tables are left uncleared for hours. All the glasses on the tables were stained and cutlery needed a good wipe down. This place is so cheap and tacky you quickly realise why theres a lack of photos on their website.
3. The food is truly awful. Chicken goujons were frozen and made from pink paste reconstituted chicken. How do I know? I spat my first bite out as it was completely undercooked. We dissected each one and all of them were pink and mushy on the inside. Not fit for a dog let alone a paying customer. When the waiter came back to collect the plates we decided to see how he'd respond. He could clearly see we did not eat a single goujon as these were all dissected on the plate. He looked straight at it and decided to not make any eye contact or aknowledge it. I guess they think it's ok for something to be returned as inedible and not do a single thing about it. Awful. Let me make this clear, none of the food we were served with the exception of the salad was fresh. We are talking about the cheapest frozen food catering packs you can find.
4. The waiter brought food but no cutlery and when we told him we would like some he forgot a second time meaning the food got cold very quickly.
Some positves: cocktails were fine and the chips as someone else mentioned were quite nice but this is by no means a reason to visit this place.
I cannot stress enough how bad this place is and considering its in a rather affluent area makes you wonder how they even exist. Just don't go here they are filthy, rude and the food has the potential to make you very sick indeed as its being undercooked from frozen. Awful awful awful avoid at all costs.
I'd like to add that I didn't have high expectations but they managed to fail on every level. It's quite a talent to be this awful! Keep looking it doesn't get much worse than this.
It's a strange place - doesn't really know whether it wants to be a pub, restaurant or bar. It's possibly telling that the website doesn't have any photos of the place on it. The vibe very much reminded me of slightly tacky 80s nightclubs that had tables crammed in there to serve food in the evenings before the main event got underway.
We both went for mojitos to start - surely any bartender should be able to manage a classic like that? The cocktails were reasonable, although tasted as if they may have only spent a brief interval in the same room as a bottle of rum rather than had any added. Our starters were chicken goujons, and flame-grilled chorizo - both quite tasty, but both served nestled in a bed of naively shredded iceberg that very much gave you the impression that these were the finest hastily-defrosted snacks that money could buy. Tasty, for sure... but nothing which gave the impression that the establishment in any way prided itself on its food.
Our meals arrived - a veggie burger and a carnivore burger. The latter being forgettable, and the former being a mushy mess. The fries were very good indeed, but that's barely a reason to go back.
We left with mixed feelings about The Beauchamp - on one hand you might say that a daily discount voucher shouldn't hike your expectations too high, but then one of the purposes of these things is to get traffic into a business to show off what they do, and this was not showing off in any way. Good value for money in this case, but had we known how mediocre it was we'd have spent that money elsewhere for a better experience.
Having rechecked The Beauchamp's website, it appears that the "Press" area contains a list of celebrities who have or regularly go there. Maybe dining's not the point of this restaurant?
Comment 1 comment on this review
phil1233, 5 October 2012:
Outside this place looks rather shabby.
The sad and uninterested barmaid had no idea what she was selling or doing.
Noisy modern music and an uncomfortable atmosphere. More a bar than a pub - not a good one.
Everything looks neclected.
Write your review of The Beauchamp
Places nearby The Beauchamp
Your bookmark has been removed
Your bookmark has been saved
Did you know?
You can access your bookmarks from our mobile apps!
From now on, we'll make sure you get updates about this place.